Prayers in Dule Gaya = Instant Respect, Instant Friends

Hey! I’m officially 20 today!

Question: Are you doing anything fun for your birthday, like a few more pushups than normal? 
Elder Doxey: Today we’ve been asked to be visiting and strengthening members who are at home and not be out proselyting, because it is Carnival in Panama. This applies to the whole mission. So, as ZL I had to contact the Elders and Sisters in each of the island areas to tell them this. Elder Richins and I ended up being with our Branch President and his kids (some jovens) in the branch. They wanted to spend some time playing basketball on a court outside our church building.
Cool stitchery

In Ustupu, there is cell phone service, and as Zone Leader, I have to have a phone with me at all times b/c I am the main point of contact for emergencies, updates, reports and more...so this is different for me. The connection is really good because our branch building is right next to the main cell towers on the island.

Birthday wise, there is no ice cream here, but I did splurge on some American treats—Gatorade, Snickers, M&Ms and a machete.

Question: You have a real, cement basketball court outside your branch building? 
Elder Doxey: Yes. (Then Elder Doxey showed us the court, the kids playing on the court, the branch president, and we spoke to them in Spanish while they played him a Happy Birthday song on their Bluetooth speaker). The branch building is right next to the water, and some cell towers.

Question: What are your thoughts on whether John should work a year before going on his mission, vs. setting his availability date as July 1, 2020? Have you had much experience with Elders who are 18 vs. older? 
Elder Doxey: I can say there is an obvious difference between Elders who are 18 vs. Elders who are 25, 26. The mid-20s Elders just look a lot older, but the 18 year old Elders right out of high school are often are learning really fast. John would learn fast. He works hard and has held a lot of responsibilities in the past, so that is important no matter what age you go. It is important to be spiritually prepared.

We have a lot who are 18, and a lot who are 23-25. I’m right in the middle at age 20 now. I think it is harder for sister missionaries who might have been cheerleading last year, and then boom they are here in a completely different world that is a mission.

Some of the 18 year old missionaries who are now 20 and finishing their missions are going home to no savings, no non-mission work experience, no college completed. It would be hard to not have progress in at least one of those areas. John just needs to pray about it.

Question: Have there been any recent converts on Ustupu Island? 
Elder Doxey: Yes. Just last week right before I arrived there was a baptism. I’ve only been here one Sunday, so I don’t know many people yet. I’m just getting to know them.

Question: Ustupu Island seems much more civilized and more populated than Irgandi. Does it feel weird to go from cooking over a fire and being so remote to being in such a civilized place? 
Elder Doxey: Definitely. The funny thing is Elder Richins came from Panama City, so he feels like he is far out of civilization, while I feel like I’m back in civilization! Ustupu is very city like in my opinion. There is an economy here. You can feel it. People have jobs making and selling stuff. Our branch building has yellow walls and a red roof, it has a gate around it, there is an outdoor basketball court, some places even have electricity, we have a flag pole with the Kuna Nation red and yellow “Swastika” flag on it.
Mola (Google Images)

Question: How would you describe Elder Richins personality? 
Elder Doxey: Hard working. Cool. He knows a lot about farming.

Question: Are you playing basketball in your sandals today? 
Elder Doxey: Yup. They are the only shoes I have out here. They’re leather and rubber…very comfy. Everyone wears them. All my missionary gear is back in Panama.

Question: What keeps you busy as Zone Leader? 
Elder Doxey: Lots of things. Right now I have some sick Elders in the Zone. When they are sick and unable to go out working, I contact them and see how they are doing, how sick they are, why they are sick, what they are feeling like, how serious it is, what it is going to take to keep the momentum of the work going in their area. If they are super sick, they may need to change islands, have different food, or access to the mission nurse. Today I have spoken to President Garrett and the APs three times. President Garrett called to wish me a happy birthday. Later he called to talk to me about health of missionaries and changes that are needed in the zone. Finally, he called to remind me to reach out to the rest of the zone and ask them to be strengthening members today.

Question: How many Elders are sick in the zone right now? 
Elder Doxey: At one point two were sick on two separate islands. So, I encouraged the healthy ones to get together and keep the work going, and the sick ones to stay together and get well. We have really good Elders and Sisters in the zone. There are very few drama or obedience issues. Companions really need each other everywhere, but especially out here.

I’ve been really blessed to never be sick. Of course I’ve thrown up after eating something nasty, but never so sick I had to stay home and not go out and work. One sad thing is that the two Elders in Irgandi have only been there are short time and now both think they have parasites. They are not doing so well. We always ran our water through a purifier there, so I don’t know what is going on. I need to figure that out with the mission nurse.

Question: Do you take all the vitamins we sent down at Christmas? 
Elder Doxey: No. I left those in the office for people who need them more than I do.

Question: What makes things challenging for Elders and Sisters in the San Blas Zone? 
Elder Doxey: Speaking Dule Gaya is #1. Some might not want to learn a third language as much as others do. That is a challenge. I study Spanish and Dule Gaya all the time because I want to talk to people, and need to talk to people. Gifts of the Spirit are real. I was also in an area (Irgandi for 6 months) where Dule Gaya was spoken 80% of the time, so I speak it comparatively well. Elder Gutke also speaks it well. Other areas of San Blas might speak Dule Gaya only 50% of the time, or have tons of tourism there, so the Elders and Sisters do not get as immersed in it.

Question: What else is different about Ustupu? 
Elder Doxey: One funny thing is that here on Ustupu there was this big group of Caucasians from “The Peace Club” that showed up for a couple weeks. This never happened in remote Irgandi. Their Spanish was terrible, and their Dule Gaya worse. I don’t know how they thought whatever they did here was a blessing for locals. Ha Ha. Whatever.

Ustupu

Question: In addition to normal missionary work, what other Zone Leader responsibilities keep you busy? 
Elder Doxey: I’ve only been a Zone Leader for about a week or so, but I’m already seeing that I spend a lot of time planning companionship divisions, making arrangements for pangas (boats) to pick up and drop off missionaries on any of the islands, monitoring the weather and conditions of the sea (and size of waves), planning Zone Conference, hearing from each companionship about lessons they taught, people they are teaching, interview needs, health and motivation issues, etc. Normal stuff.
Kuna Women (Google Images)

Question: Do you have any good teaching techniques that come to mind? 
Elder Doxey: One technique I have found effective in working with new people is that we always start a discussion with prayer, and I ask them, “Would you like me to say the prayer in English, Spanish or Dule Gaya?” They always, always always say “Dule Gaya” b/c they fully expect get a laugh out of me failing while trying. Then, I bust out a great prayer in Dule Gaya. When I finish, Voilá – I get instant respect, and make instant friends.

Gotta go.

Much love, 

Elder Doxey

Comments