MyPlan & Awesome Senior Missionaries | Last Baptism in Sight

Hi all,

Question: How are the last days of you mission shaping up?
Elder Doxey: Well, next week should be my last P-day, and as tradition has it in our mission the last P-day is a big hike up to the Fiery Furnace State Park. So, I will probably not be calling next week, and this will be it.

Question: Looks like you’re at the church with your zone getting exercise. How is that going?
Elder Doxey: For P-day today, I have to say it’s a bit weird b/c our whole zone is here at the church and all are playing soccer, pickleball in the gym (with chairs for a net) and other games.

It’s actually hard to even describe…literally, there are some missionaries whose moms sent them toys (nerf guns, no joke…remote control cars to race with in a gym—what the heck?) like they are little boys or something. This does not help with the focus we are supposed to have, (even during P-day), to say the least.

Question: Like, what are some examples of what they’re doing?
Elder Doxey: We should all have our masks on while we’re here, yet almost nobody has a mask on. Another rule we have is that even though we are here in a gym we should still be with our companion…never two elders alone talking to just two sisters alone, or even worse, one elder talking to one sister alone with both of their comps nearby.

In short, pushing the “gray area” of rules. President Reese would not be happy with what is going on here right now. Things can get out of control real fast. Some missionaries just don’t get it. It just does not feel like the mission p-days I’ve known my whole mission. I can’t think if this is all just an odd Covid thing, or if it’s because I’m going home soon, or something else. This zone just has different approach than I’m accustomed to.

Question: We got your MyPlan PDF this week. Tell us more about how that came to be.
Elder Doxey: MyPlan may be a “program” but I’ve found it to open up a lot of really good conversations. It’s pretty amazing actually, and I am sure very unique here in Vegas compared to other missions in non-Covid times.


We literally have 10 Senior Couples serving here (b/c many cannot be out internationally), and one of the sole responsibilities is to meet with outgoing missionaries about MyPlan. One that I met with is a former CEO, and they meet with me one on one, offering personal career advice.

I’ve talked to them about a variety of paths to dental school, (including the military route, which I’m not super interested in yet). Another one talked to me about getting my resume more solid. He offered to sit with me in a session this week and go over it in detail. It's really helpful because they’re not just dragging me through a stale program, they’re talking to me specifically, and my situation.

Question: Any good lessons being taught in these last days of you mission?
Elder Doxey: We have woman being baptized this week with some Elders in nearby area. I am baptizing her. We have some others we’ve been teaching that are on date, and will be baptized after I’m home. 

The mission is great.

Gotta go. Love you.

Elder Doxey  


Comments