Panama is Waaaayyyy Different

April 1, 2019 (After 5 days in Panama)

I only got 30 minutes to write so write so I’ll make it fast.

Woah....
Panama is wayyyyy different than any place in the world. My first area is Loma Coma. My trainer’s name is Elder Chavez. He’s from Honduras. He’s fluent. But, I can understand most things he says. We communicate pretty well.

The view from Elder Doxey's bedroom.

Elder Doxey's "Cute" Room
First night in Panama we stayed in what I thought was a little crappy hotel in the city. But, it did have AC. Now that I look back, that was the best night I’m ever going to have. First morning we went to the church in the city which is way nice. Had some training, then went off to our areas. We took a Diablo Rojo (city bus) to our area then a taxi to our house.

One of the other trainers was talking to me in English about how our house was sooo big, has a pool, it’s pink and even has skittles. When we got to the house, all of that was true, except that we lived in the very back. It’s pretty much one big room about the size of my bedroom. That includes the kitchen, study area and the bathroom. Honestly the whole area is pretty trash.


After I unpacked we got right into teaching.  I should’ve worn sunscreen because now I’m brown and peeling. We did some Cosechas (harvest in Spanish) which is pretty much knocking doors. Instead of knocking you just yell, “Buenas!” Even though our house is small, it’s nicer than almost any other house. They literally live in shacks with dirt floors. But, they´ll have a brand new car, TV, and Smartphone.

I’M ALWAYS SWEATING…..day and night! My white shirts turn yellow in one day. Everyone looks and me and says stuff because I’m white. I don’t really understand, so I just smile. Hahaha! I saw some drunks fight, pretty cool I guess. I’m not really scared of the people any more, unless they’re in a Taxi. There is no speed limit and there are no sidewalks really. So, it’s pretty sketch. But, there are so many animals in Panama! Everyone has at least 3 dogs, 2 cats and chickens. Dogs are everywhere! I’ve had to fight off like 20, not kidding. Big ones are scary, actually. I just use my bag as a shield and start to pick up rocks and hope they run away. It’s pretty normal for a man to have 2 or 3 girl friends and like 8 kids. My companion pretty much does all the teaching. I say the prayers, testify a little and ask questions.

We don’t have a washer and drier.  The shower and bathroom are filthy. Bugs are literally everywhere, even in our beds. No light in the bathroom so, I can’t really shower at night. Every night I go to bed in sweat, sunscreen and bug spray. It’s great! THE MISSION IS REALLY HARD. Somehow I have to learn to love it. The members feed us almost every night. If not, we go to the pollo shack or chinos. Instead of “hola” they say “buenas.” I say it like every time I pass someone.
Elder Doxey's breathtaking bathroom.
The people are really nice. Almost any member I talk to, especially Juan and Luis know Elder Ben Call. They laugh because they said he could only speak Cuna (Digalie?) What a legend my cousin is! I’ve learned a few words in Cuna. It’s a totally different language. We’ve taught some Cuna. I think they’re the most poor. We ate at one of their houses. They’re so nice but I can’t understand them. And, the food isn’t that good. Their houses are pretty bad too….bones on the floor and dirt everywhere. I’ve just got to love them.

Sometimes the woman will start breast feeding right when we’re teaching. It’s so weird! But, it’s just their culture. Anyway, this last week has been super crazy.
I’m soooo grateful for everything I have. If it seems like you don’t have the necessities, look again. Be grateful for the gospel. I’m grateful for the MTC. One of my favorite quotes:

“The MTC was literally the Garden of Eden and I just got thrown into the wilderness” -Elder Ben Call

Thank you for all the prayers and support because I’m gonna need them! Hahaha!

Elder Doxey

Comments